3 signs your soon-to-be ex-spouse wants an uncontested divorce

On Behalf of | Oct 4, 2021 | Divorce |

Despite what Hollywood would have you believe, the end of a marriage does not have to be a bitter battle. While some divorces certainly require litigation, many others take place largely outside the courtroom. Still, you may not know whether your soon-to-be ex-spouse is amenable to an easier divorce.

Uncontested divorces are an alternative to protracted legal battles. With this type of divorce, you and your husband or wife work together to reach an acceptable agreement for most or all divorce-related matters. Here are three signs your spouse may want an uncontested divorce.

1. Your spouse is done with the marriage

Sometimes, even though one spouse is ready to call it quits, the other wants to remain married. In these situations, the pro-marriage spouse often employs delay tactics. If your spouse is just as ready to end your marriage as you are, though, opting for an uncontested divorce may help each of you begin the next chapter of your lives as quickly as possible.

2. Your spouse is financially savvy

While the cost of uncontested divorces varies wildly depending on a number of factors, they are usually significantly less expensive than litigation. After all, with litigation, you must pay for discovery, depositions, expert witnesses and other costly expenses. These typically do not apply with uncontested divorces, of course.

3. Your spouse wants to protect your kids

Just as divorce can be difficult for husbands and wives, it can be psychologically damaging to children. If your spouse wants to protect your kids, he or she may prefer an uncontested divorce. That is, seeing their parents work together to find common solutions may help your kids cope with the end of your marriage.

Even though an uncontested divorce is not the right choice for every couple, it makes sense for many families. Ultimately, if you can get your spouse to buy into the process, an uncontested divorce may be advantageous to both of you.